HBase, mail # user - Writing unit tests against HBase

Re: Writing unit tests against HBase
Dhaval Shah 2013-06-24, 21:39
Why don't you spin up a mini cluster for your tests (there is a MiniHBaseCluster which brings up an in-memory cluster for testing and you can tear it down at the end of your test)? The benefit you get is that you no longer need to mock HBase responses and you will be talking to an actual cluster running similar code to the one you will have running in prod, so will be more reliable. Obviously the downside is that instead of mocking responses, you will have to populate data in HBase tables but I still feel this is more intuitive and reliable.

Regards,
Dhaval
________________________________
From: Adam Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, 24 June 2013 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: Writing unit tests against HBase
On 6/18/13 4:22 PM, Stack wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Varun Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If I wanted to write to write a unit test against HTable/HBase, is there an
>> already available utility to that for unit testing my application logic.
>>
>> I don't want to write code that either touches production or requires me to
>> mock an HTable. I am looking for a test htable object which behaves pretty
>> close to a real HTable.
>>

> Would this help if we included it?
> https://github.com/kijiproject/fake-hbase/

I figured I'd take a look as I was about to try using Mockito
(https://code.google.com/p/mockito/) to try to implement unit testing of
some of our code that accesses HBase.  The example tests in there are
all Scala, and I'm not having much success using them in Java.  Do you
know if there's any example Java tests that make use of fake-hbase?

- Adam