Hive >> mail # user >> Re: Need rank()

Re: Need rank()
I suppose.  Like I said, I was just following the example on that website and it didn't seem to have any comments on it remarking on errors in the article.  Thus my confusion about the whole thing.  It is presented as being accurate and is old enough that any errors would have been caught and labeled in the comments long ago.  I also thought it was a little odd to name the function the same thing as the alias assigned to the result.  I'll try disambiguating that.

On Apr 2, 2013, at 10:22 , Nitin Pawar wrote:

> I am not sure about this
> but you defined a rank function and then aliased the column as rank itself. Can this cause the issue?
>
> From the error it looks like it could not figure out which column is rank in the where clause "WHERE rank > 1"
>
> from Edward's blog the correct query looks similar  but his function is named as p_rank
>
> SELECT
>  category,country,product,sales,rank
> FROM (
>  SELECT
>    category,country,product,sales,
>    p_rank(category, country) rank
>  FROM (
>    SELECT
>      category,country,product,
>      sales
>    FROM p_rank_demo
>    DISTRIBUTE BY
>      category,country
>    SORT BY
>      category,country,sales desc) t1) t2
> WHERE rank <= 3
>

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Keith Wiley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I did all that, I just didn't paste it into the email.  That isn't the problem.  Sorry for the confusion.
>
> hive> add jar Rank.jar;
> hive> create temporary function rank as 'com.example.hive.udf.Rank';
>
> BTW, small typo, the condition at the end uses less-then, not greater-then...obviously...but that isn't the problem either.
>
> On Apr 2, 2013, at 10:06 , Nitin Pawar wrote:
>
> > I dont see you added rank in the classpath and defined rank function
> >
> > can you try add jar and define the function and try again
> >

> > On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 10:33 PM, Keith Wiley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Apr 1, 2013, at 16:12 , Alexander Pivovarov wrote:
> >
> > > http://ragrawal.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/extract-top-n-records-in-each-group-in-hadoophive/
> >
> > Is there any possibility there is a bug in Ritesh Agrawal's query statement from that article?  I created a test table with the exact column names from the example in the article and used a minimally altered version of the command (I removed the where clause to simplify things a bit) and got an error which suggests there is something slightly wrong with the command (or perhaps the table has to be configured a special way).  Here's what I get when I almost perfectly duplicate that example:
> >
> > hive> describe test;
> > OK
> > user    string
> > category        string
> > value   int
> > Time taken: 0.082 seconds
> > =================================================> > hive> select * from test;
> > OK
> > user1   cat1    1
> > user1   cat1    2
> > user1   cat1    3
> > user1   cat2    10
> > user1   cat2    20
> > user1   cat2    30
> > user2   cat1    11
> > user2   cat1    21
> > user2   cat1    31
> [...]

"You can scratch an itch, but you can't itch a scratch. Furthermore, an itch can
itch but a scratch can't scratch. Finally, a scratch can itch, but an itch can't
scratch. All together this implies: He scratched the itch from the scratch that
itched but would never itch the scratch from the itch that scratched."
                                           --  Keith Wiley