Kafka >> mail # user >> S3 Consumer for Super Duper Blog Post!

Re: S3 Consumer for Super Duper Blog Post!
Hey Russell,

We're actually about to start work on this exact thing here at foursquare
as we're about to start prototyping kafka to replace our aging log
infrastructure.

We'd planned on just using the hadoop-consumer, but setting the output
directory to a S3n:// file-path.

I'm assuming that you want to build a consumer that operates outside of
hadoop?

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM, Russell Jurney
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Ok, this is the last time I'm gonna beg for an S3 sink for Kafka. I'm
> not trolling, and this is Your Big Chance to help!
>
> I'm gonna blog about using Whirr to boot Zookeeper and then to boot
> Kafka in the cloud and then create events in an application that get
> sunk to Amazon S3, where they will be processed by
> Pig/Hadoop/ElasticMapReduce, mined into gems and republished in some
> esoteric NoSQL DB and then served in the very app that generated the
> events in the first place.
>
> So, if someone else doesn't contribute an S3 consumer for Kafka in the
> next month or so... so help me Bob, I'm gonna write it myself. Now,
> some of you may not know me, but I am the 3rd best software engineer
> in the world:
> http://www.quora.com/Who-are-some-of-the-best-software-engineers-alive
>
> Those of you that have seen my code, however, are aware that as a
> programmer, I am substandard. There's a gene that imparts exception
> handling and algorithms, and they're missing from my genome.
>
> So let me be clear: you don't want me to write the S3 sink. A Kafka
> committer or someone with a real job should write the S3 sink. As soon
> as that thing is written and my blog post goes out, Kafka use will
> spike and you'll all be famous.
>
> So this is a direct threat: I am writing an S3 consumer for Kafka
> unless one of you steps up. And you will rue the day that piece of
> crap ships.
>
> In return for your contribution, you will be named in my blog post as
> open source citizen of the month, to be accompanied by a commemorative
> plaque with a pixelated photo of me.
>
> Yours truly,

Matthew Rathbone
Foursquare | Software Engineer | Server Engineering Team
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | @rathboma <http://twitter.com/rathboma> |
4sq<http://foursquare.com/rathboma>