HBase >> mail # dev >> HBase table truncate

+
Matteo Bertozzi 2013-04-10, 13:52
+
Ted Yu 2013-04-10, 14:01
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-04-10, 14:04
+
Doug Meil 2013-04-10, 17:27
+
Matteo Bertozzi 2013-04-10, 17:35
Re: HBase table truncate

Thanks for the clarification.  Upon first read I thought that this was a
start of a discussion on putting writing a delete tombstone - I have had
too many "transactional delete vs. truncate data files" conversations and
I focused too much on that part.   :-)
On 4/10/13 1:35 PM, "Matteo Bertozzi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM, Doug Meil
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>

>> re:  "truncate is supposed to be more like a "delete_all","
>>
>> In an RDBMS an "truncate" doesn't do "delete all", it actually whacks
>>the
>> underlying files to clear the table (or a particular partition, if you
>> happen to have an RDBMS that supports partitioning).
>>

>You've missed the important part "requiring just the ability to delete all
>the rows in the table" on purpose?
>Do you think that truncate should stay as it today requiring the same
>rights as "CREATE TABLE"?
>
>in this case, a use may be able to delete rows from the table but not run
>truncate the table
>because it doesn't have enough rights to recreate it.
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2013-04-10, 17:39
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-04-10, 17:50