HBase >> mail # user >> md5 hash key and splits

+
Mohit Anchlia 2012-08-29, 22:56
+
Stack 2012-08-30, 04:19
+
Mohit Anchlia 2012-08-30, 04:38
+
Stack 2012-08-30, 05:50
+
Mohit Anchlia 2012-08-30, 14:35
+
Stack 2012-08-30, 22:45
+
Ian Varley 2012-08-30, 23:26
Re: md5 hash key and splits
Also, you might have read that an initial loading of data can be better
distributed across the cluster if the table is pre-split rather than
starting with a single region and splitting (possibly aggressively,
depending on the throughput) as the data loads in. Once you are in a stable
state with regions distributed across the cluster, there is really no
benefit in terms of spreading load by managing splitting manually v/s
letting HBase do it for you. At that point it's about what Ian mentioned -
predictability of latencies by avoiding splits happening at a busy time.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Ian Varley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The Facebook devs have mentioned in public talks that they pre-split their
> tables and don't use automated region splitting. But as far as I remember,
> the reason for that isn't predictability of spreading load, so much as
> predictability of uptime & latency (they don't want an automated split to
> happen at a random busy time). Maybe that's what you mean, Mohit?
>
> Ian
>
> On Aug 30, 2012, at 5:45 PM, Stack wrote:
>
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Mohit Anchlia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
> From what I;ve read it's advisable to do manual splits since you are able
> to spread the load in more predictable way. If I am missing something
> please let me know.
>

> Where did you read that?
> St.Ack

+