HBase, mail # user - HBase Region/Table Hotspotting

Re: HBase Region/Table Hotspotting
lars hofhansl 2013-02-11, 05:14
The most common cause for hotspotting is inserting rows with monotonically increasing row keys.
In that case only the last region will get the writes and no amount of splitting will fix that (only one region serer will hold the last region of the table regardless of how small it is).
There are ways around this. If you generate keys make sure they are not monotonically increasing. For example if you do not care about the sort order of the keys w.r.t. to each other you could reverse the bytes before you use them as row key. Another option is to prefix the key with a hash of the key (but then you loose the ability to do range scan across keys).

If you still need to scan rows according to their sort order you can "salt" (as some call it) the key by prefix it with a limited number of random single digit (maybe 5-10 different numbers). Could also do a mod of the key. Each scan then has to issue multiple scans in parallel for each of the possible prefix numbers.
(In fact that is a pretty effective way to avoid hotspotting and to parallelize your scans, but it needs some client side to reconcile the parallel scans).

Another reason for hotspotting is inserting new versions a of small'ish set of row keys. In that case splitting might help, because it will increase the likelyhood of all those key falling into the same region.
-- Lars

________________________________
 From: Joarder KAMAL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:17 PM
Subject: HBase Region/Table Hotspotting

This is my first email in the group. I am having a more general and
open-ended question but hope to get some reasoning from the HBase user
communities.
I am a very basic HBase user and still learning. My intention to use HBase
in one of our research project. Recently I was looking through Lars
George's book "HBase - The Definitive Guide" and two particular topics
caught my eyes. One is 'Region and Table Hotspotting' and the other is
'Region Auto-Sharding and Merging'.

*Scenario: *
If a hotspot is created in a particular region or in a table (having
multiple regions) due to sudden workload change, then one may split the
region into further small pieces and distributed it to a number of
available physical machine in the cluster. This process should require
large data transfer between different machines in the cluster and incur a
performance cost. One may also change the 'key' definition and manage the
regions. But I am not sure how effective or logical to change key designs
on a production system.

*Questions:*

   1. How often you are facing Region or Table Hotspotting in HBase
   production systems?
   2. If a hotspot is created, how quickly it is automatically cleared out
   (assuming sudden workload change)?
   3. How often this kind of situation happens - A hotspot is detected and
   vanished out before taking an action? or hotspots stays longer period of
   time?
   4. Or if the hotspot is stays, how it is handled (in general) in
   production system?
   5. How large data transfer cost is minimized or avoid for re-sharding
   regions within a cluster in a single data center or within WAN?
   6. Is hotspoting in HBase cluster is really a issue (big!) nowadays for
   OLAP workloads and real-time analytics?
Further directions to more information about region/table hotspotting is
most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Joarder Kamal