HBase, mail # dev - thrift vs thrift2

Re: thrift vs thrift2
Stack 2012-12-07, 23:30
On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Tim Sell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey,

Hey Mighty Tim.
I think a good design would be one in which the java/rest and thrift
> apis were simply implementing the same interface.

Yes.

I've not looked at the two idls.  Could we put them together and have
thrift package do both apis (you can all slap me if that a dumb idea).

> A better one might be that the thrift and rest packages are stand
> alone java projects that build separately and simply depend on HBase,
> but that would be a hassle for deployment.

Yes.  Could make them separate projects if someone wanted to own them.

> The thing is, if I was using hbase today, I wouldn't use the hbase
> thrift or thrift2 api, I'd implement my own thrift api (in java) that
> was domain specific so that the application didn't know it was talking
> to hbase.

That makes sense.  I'd imagine though that you wouldn't mind having an
existing IDL for inspiration.

St.Ack