Hadoop, mail # user - Reason of Formatting Namenode

+
Adarsh Sharma 2011-03-10, 04:27
+
Harsh J 2011-03-10, 05:01
+
Adarsh Sharma 2011-03-10, 05:48
+
Edward Capriolo 2011-03-10, 22:48
Re: Reason of Formatting Namenode
Boris Shkolnik 2011-03-10, 23:23
On the first run you want namenode to initialize its directories (where it
store VERSION file, fsimage and edits).
On the subsequent formats - you are making sure you have a new EMPTY file
system. If you don't do format NameNode will load up fsimage and edits.
There is also matter of generating new space id, which is matched against
Datanode's ones. So if you format Namenode you need to cleanup data from
Datanodes.

On the other hand, if you just add Datanodes to a running cluster - you
don't have to format NN.

Boris.