HBase >> mail # user >> SSD vs Spinning disks

+
Lucas Stanley 2013-06-11, 00:44
+
ramkrishna vasudevan 2013-06-11, 00:48
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-06-11, 15:19
Re: SSD vs Spinning disks
To add to Andrew's point...

There are now disks which are a hybrid of flash and spinning media.  So that your writes are faster since they are buffered in to flash and your reads may be faster since they too could be cached in flash. (YMMV because of random access vs sequential access reads)

Where 10GbE is now becoming standard, 40GbE is around the corner.
So network is becoming less and less the bottleneck. (Again, YMMV based on your data center design and your choice in hardware.)