Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Java

So, you may or may not have noticed, but Oracle is making it harder and harder to install the Sun Java SDK on Linux. It's not available in any repo for ubuntu anymore for example.  Also, someone at a recent Hadoop Meetup mentioned that Oracle's official support for Sun Java 1.6 might be expiring soon .. ?

Some Linux distros are claiming that OpenJDK is good enough. The day before yesterday I installed Cloudera Hadoop, ZooKeeper and built Accumulo 1.4 from source on a Virtual machine running Ubuntu Maverick with OpenJDK and it seemed to run fine. But I haven't done any rigorous testing yet.

Are there any plans to add testing of OpenJDK to Accumulo? Does anyone anticipate any problems in switching to a new JVM?

There are others besides OpenJDK, IBM Jrockit I think, etc. .. although I only think it's important to support the one most users are likely to need, and that's looking less like Sun JDK and more like OpenJDK.

One other reason to perhaps look at OpenJDK is that it might make it easier for someone to create a more pure distribution of the whole stack, from a licensing perspective.
Aaron