Hive >> mail # user >> Find table location

+
Peter Marron 2013-06-27, 08:49
+
Nitin Pawar 2013-06-27, 08:56
RE: Find table location
Hi,

OK. Imagine I've created a Hive table like this:

CREATE TABLE small (...)
STORED AS
INPUTFORMAT 'MyInputFormat'
...;

My class MyInputFormat looks like this:

public void configure(JobConf jc) {
                String tableName = "BigTable";
                String location = magicFunction(tableName);

(Obviously I don't really care which method of the InputFormat we use.)
So the question is how do I implement the magicFunction?

Your suggestion about HiveMetaStoreClient is what I want. I can see that if I call

                HiveMetaStoreClient.getTable(database, "BigTable").getSd().getLocation()

then this gives me what I want. So a couple of questions:
1)      I assume that the first argument to getTable is the database, how can I find

out what the "current" database is for the table that the Input format is created in?

2)      How do I get hold of a HiveMetaStoreClient object?

Many thanks for your help.