Sqoop >> mail # user >> Ports for data returned by MSSQL import

Re: Ports for data returned by MSSQL import
Yes, that is really the problem.

We need to be able to control, or at least predict, which ports are used,
since we need to be able to supply credentials to a given client database
and have the sqoop import deliver it to our cluster behind our firewall.
The TaskNodes request the data from MSSQL Server listening on port 1433,
but when the MSSQL Server sends the data back, is there a sqoop argument or
proxy method so we can control what port the data goes back to HDFS on?
According to Microsoft, winsock client calls are answered via 3-way
handshake on a random port between 1024-5000 for data delivery. So:
TaskNode requests connection SQL on 1433, SQL acks on 1433, then opens a
random port between 1024 - 5000 to the IP it just acknowledged to send the
data. For a firewall, we cannot leave all ports 1024-5000 open and still
pass vulnerability scans for compliance to our auditing bodies.
*Devin Suiter*
Jr. Data Solutions Software Engineer
Google Voice: 412-256-8556 | www.rdx.com