Accumulo, mail # dev - Generic Supertypes/Pluggable Client

Re: Generic Supertypes/Pluggable Client
Ed Kohlwey 2013-07-05, 14:38
> Are you planning to re-write all of the necessary Thrift classes to ensure
> this conversion happens server-side? If you're only intending on client
> side, doesn't Guava's Function combined with Iterators#transform and
> Iterables#transform do exactly what you've outlined? Are you more looking
> for this baked for such a transformation to be baked-in?

I want to take care of the client first, then potentially turn to the
server and iterators API. I see refactoring the tclient protocol as the
absolutely last step, simply because its already reasonably fast and can be
hidden from the user. This is more about fixing problems I perceive in API
expressivity than getting moar horsepower.
> Have you looked into Keith's Typo example? [2]
I have. Keith's work on typo was really inspirational. I mentioned it in
ACCUMULO-1551. I think this access pattern needs to become the default API
rather than an add on package. I think by integrating it directly into the
client classes we can also make the access patterns just a little more
elegant.