MapReduce >> mail # dev >> Versions - Confusion

Re: Versions - Confusion
It is kind of complex.

Up until 0.20 everything was fairly regular like you would expect.  In
0.20 there was a split where security was added in to a branch and started
to be numbered as 0.20.20X.  But the other releases went on without
security and became 0.21 and 0.22.  0.23 was created when YARN was
introduced and it also had security merged in.  To be fair 0.22 had
security in it, but was never officially supported in a release.  At about
this same time the community decided that we needed to do something better
with number and renamed 0.20.20X to be 1.0 and started releasing more
versions from this line.  This is the current stable line. 0.23 was
renamed 2.0 and there have been a few releases but the code is still being
stabilized.  To make things even more confusing some people kept 0.23
alive and stabilized it, so there have been some releases of 0.23 in
parallel with 2.0.  The difference between the two is that 2.0 had HDFS HA
in it where as 0.23 does not.

--Bobby Evans