HBase >> mail # dev >> Branching for 0.92 [WAS -> Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal]

Re: Branching for 0.92 [WAS -> Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal]
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Gary Helmling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The secure RPC engine would still have to be split off into a separate
> tree, since there are some classes that derive from the SASL support and
> token authentication in secure Hadoop.  Can't break compilation of the
> non-secure profile.  If there's a way to add an extra source tree in a
> profile, that could work.
>
> My impression of maven was that it's more "regulated" than that, and that
> modules were the blessed way of doing multiple source trees.  But I'll try
> some experiments.  Any additional pointers are appreciated.

A quick test on the security branch shows that this might actually work,
using a separate profile for security and the codehaus
build-helper-maven-plugin:add-source goal.

This could serve as a baby step towards modules, as I could separate the
submodule structure for security code:

security/
    src/main/java/
    src/test/java/

etc., without having to move around the current HBase code.  This would
still set us up for modularizing when ready by shifting around the HBase
core code into one or more submodules later.

I'll try proving this out more today.