From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Eran Kutner [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2013 12:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Limiting the number of regions per RS

Hi,
We have a cluster with unequal machines, some are newer with more disk
space, more RAM and stronger CPUs. HDFS amd M/R can be tuned to consume
less resources but I was unable to find a way to cause HBase balancer to
put less regions on the weaker servers, so now they have the same number of
regions as the strong servers, causing them to access HDFS remotely because
they don't have enough local disk space to store all their region files.

I noticed that in version 0.97 the stochastic load balancer has some
configuration options that might help, but it seems that it doesn't exist
in version 0.94.6, which is what I'm using (based on CDH4.3.1).

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

-eran

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this message, including any attachments hereto, may be confidential and is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom this message is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent or designee of the intended recipient, please note that any review, use, disclosure or distribution of this message or its attachments, in any form, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and/or [EMAIL PROTECTED] and delete or destroy any copy of this message and its attachments.