Hadoop >> mail # user >> Using NFS mounted volume for Hadoop installation/configuration

+
Mehmet Belgin 2013-02-18, 18:00
+
Chris Embree 2013-02-18, 18:09
+
Paul Wilkinson 2013-02-18, 18:44
+
Chris Embree 2013-02-18, 19:31
Re: Using NFS mounted volume for Hadoop installation/configuration
To use NFS as datanode fs may bring performance problems. Millions of
requests may block your NFS server.

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Chris Embree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm doing that currently.  No problems to report so far.
>
> The only pitfall I've found is around NFS stability.  If your NAS is 100%
> solid no problems.  I've seen mtab get messed up and refuse to remount if
> NFS has any hiccups.
>
> If you want to really crazy, consider NFS for your datanode root fs.  See
> the oneSIS project for details.  http://onesis.sourceforge.net
>
> Enjoy.
>

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Mehmet Belgin <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Will it be any problem if I put the hadoop executables and configuration
>> on a NFS volume, which is shared by all masters and slaves? This way the
>> configuration changes will be available for all nodes, without need for
>> synching any files. While this looks almost like a no-brainer, I am
>> wondering if there are any pitfalls I need to be aware of.
>>
>> On a related question, is there a best practices (do's and don'ts )
>> document that you can suggest other than the regular documentation by
>> Apache?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> -Mehmet

+