Kafka, mail # dev - Coding convention: tuples vs case classes

Coding convention: tuples vs case classes
Joel Koshy 2012-09-14, 00:38
In KAFKA-391 I tried switching from (topic, partition) tuples to a
TopicPartition case class in the producer/fetch request handling code. I
think it helped quite a bit in terms of code clarity and access from
java-api's. There are still lots of places where we have this:

https://gist.github.com/3718883 (this is after the edits to the request
handling code and does not include other tuples that may be better written
as case classes)

This book [1] has a reasonable guideline (paraphrased): ".. tuples are
almost too easy to use. Tuples are great when you combine data that has no
meaning beyond an A and a B. However, whenever the combination has some
meaning, or you want to add methods to the combination, it is better to go
ahead and create a class... It makes your intentions explicit, which both
clears up the code for human readers and gives the compiler and language
opportunities to help you catch mistakes."

I think we generally intend to follow the above but inadvertently go with
tuples which subsequently spread all over. If there's no objection I can
add the above to our coding convention page.

Thanks,

Joel

[1] http://www.artima.com/shop/programming_in_scala_2ed