Hadoop, mail # general - Is Hadoop a good choice for car insurance/telecom provider calculators?

Is Hadoop a good choice for car insurance/telecom provider calculators?
Gabriel Lozano-Moran 2012-11-27, 20:39
Hello

I work for a large consumer organisation and we provide as a service for our members several calculators where our members can calculate based on their profile which is the:

- cheapest energy provider (based on your yearly consumption)
- cheapest car insurance (based on some criteria such as car brand, model, age, accident history, …)
- cheapest telecommunications provider (based on criteria such as the number of text messages sent per month, …)

For each of the calculators we have data for providers. For example we have from the different telecommunications providers all their subscription plans that allows us to calculation for you which would be the cheapest provider.

We have right now a custom solution build in .NET (C#) that uses Excel and the calculations are performed on several servers.

We are considering on replacing this solution by a new one and we were wondering whether switching to Hadoop and Hive ODBC would be a better choice for these kind of calculations. Or are there better solutions?

Any help is strongly appreciated.

With kind regards

Gabriel Lozano-Moran