MapReduce, mail # user - balancer and under replication

+
Patai Sangbutsarakum 2013-01-07, 20:48
+
Harsh J 2013-01-07, 21:16
+
alxsss@... 2013-01-08, 01:15
Re: balancer and under replication
Patai Sangbutsarakum 2013-01-07, 22:25
Thanks Harsh, you're the first, as usual.
Currently, there are 291 active nodes spread in 11 racks. We have
rack-awareness enable for a year (work like a champ).
I ran fsck throughout HDFS again and noticed that majority of the
files that have under repl. blocks
are set to have 255 replicas but actually it can have only 202 replica.

the maximum replica i saw was in a file that is set for 255 replica
and it got 217 replica.

another 4-5 files are complaining "Replica placement policy is
violated for blk_-6514473498006714669_245767971. Block should be
additionally replicated on 1 more rack(s)."

I tried to setrep +1, -1 trick. Still NN didn't try to pump the number
of repl. this time.

So, question would be with 291 nodes in 11 racks would that feasible
to have 255 copies while compliance to rack awareness?

Hope this make sense
-P