Kafka, mail # user - Running Kafka in local test mode

Running Kafka in local test mode
Ken Krugler 2012-05-06, 15:21
Hi all,

I'm trying to run Kakfa in a minimal local test environment, but having issues gracefully shutting down.

I can start up ZooKeeper/Kafka, and it's running fine.

But when I try to shut it all down, I'm having trouble cleanly terminating the consumers.

I think the issue is that they're blocking on ConsumerIterator.makeNext(), which doesn't seem to be paying attention to being interrupted.

So then I proceed with cleaning up everything else, and shutting down the Kafka broker.

Which in turn triggers a kafka.consumer.ConsumerTimeoutException from the pending hasNext() call in my consumer Runnable.

What's the clean way to set up/tear down a ZooKeeper/Kafka setup that's being used indirectly by the test of another project?

Thanks!

-- Ken

Ken Krugler
http://www.scaleunlimited.com