HBase >> mail # dev >> ProtoBuf generation?

+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-01-12, 22:28
+
Ted Yu 2013-01-12, 22:37
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-01-12, 23:12
+
Matteo Bertozzi 2013-01-12, 23:14
+
lars hofhansl 2013-01-12, 23:27
+
Matteo Bertozzi 2013-01-12, 23:33
+
lars hofhansl 2013-01-12, 23:38
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2013-01-13, 16:43
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2013-01-13, 20:10
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-01-13, 20:25
+
Enis Söztutar 2013-01-14, 20:02
+
Stack 2013-01-15, 04:37
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2013-01-15, 08:46
Re: ProtoBuf generation?
+1. I prefer to know exactly what I do rather then depending on the default
version that will vary from a system to another. And we may depend on
multiple version of protoc in the future (one for 0.96, on for 0.98; one
for 0.99 and so on).
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Jonathan Hsieh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I tend to agree with this -- there is no guarantee that future
> versions of this will not break compatiblity, (thrift did this
> multiple times), yeah, modifying protobuf stuff is rare.
>
> I'd be happy if we detected if protoc was present, use it if it was
> but also allow the build if it isn't by using the committed generated
> code.
>
> Jon.
>
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > My thinking was that its rare someone is messing w/ protobufs so why
> burden
> > all builders w/ having to install protoc?
> > St.Ack
> >

> > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Enis Söztutar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I think the idea was to make it easier for the average developer to get
> >> hbase building without the hassle. The only downside is that we have to
> >> commit the generated code.
> >>
> >> I've opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-7557 as a
> >> critical.
> >>
> >> Enis
> >>
> >> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> --
> // Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
> // Software Engineer, Cloudera
> // [EMAIL PROTECTED]