Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Best practices for using zookeeper in an Amazon EC2 environment

+
Bruce Pennypacker 2013-10-16, 19:27
+
Diego Oliveira 2013-10-16, 20:12
Re: Best practices for using zookeeper in an Amazon EC2 environment
FYI - running ZooKeeper in AWS is the reason I wrote Netflix Exhibitor: https://github.com/Netflix/exhibitor

-JZ

On Oct 16, 2013, at 12:27 PM, Bruce Pennypacker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We've started using an ensemble of 3 zookeepers in an EC2 environment to
> support a solr cloud setup.  I was wondering if anybody else has done so
> and if they have any recommendations, especially pertaining to instance
> sizes, DNS, etc.
>
> One particular question I have with regards to EC2: We had an issue a while
> back where we had to reboot one of our zookeeper instances.  Given the way
> AWS works it meant the server was assigned a new IP address.  Our current
> configuration (generated automatically by an in-house tool) uses the IP
> addresses of each server in the zookeeper configuration file.  That led to
> issues since the only way we could get the ensemble to recognize the
> rebooted server was to restart all the zookeepers so that they got the new
> IP of the rebooted instance.
>
> Given the nature of AWS and the likelihood that we'll need to reboot
> another zookeeper server eventually, what is the best approach to defining
> the hosts?  Can local /etc/hosts files where the we can update the IP be
> enough, or would we need to switch to using DNS for the zookeepers?  I'm
> guessing we might have to go the DNS route but I'm not 100% convinced.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Bruce
+
Bruce Pennypacker 2013-10-16, 20:43