Avro >> mail # user >> Could specific records implement the generic API as well?

+
Christophe Taton 2013-04-15, 18:23
+
Doug Cutting 2013-04-15, 20:08
+
Scott Carey 2013-04-15, 19:46
+
Christophe Taton 2013-04-15, 21:21
+
Doug Cutting 2013-04-15, 22:43
+
Christophe Taton 2013-04-18, 20:18
+
Doug Cutting 2013-04-22, 20:19
Re: Could specific records implement the generic API as well?
I would like to figure out how to make SpecificRecord and GenericRecord
immutable in the longer term (or as an option with the code generation
and/or builder).  The builder is the first step, but setters are the
enemy.  Is there a way to do this that does not introduce new mutators for
all SpecificRecords?

On 4/15/13 3:43 PM, "Doug Cutting" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Christophe Taton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>> If you think it's a meaningful addition, I'm happy to make the change.
>
>The two methods I wrote above could be added to SpecificRecordBase and
>it could then be declared to implement GenericRecord.
>
>I think GenericRecordBuilder could be used to build specific records
>with a few additional changes:
> - change the type of the 'record' field from GenericData.Record to
>GenericRecord.
> - replace the call to 'new GenericData.Record()' to
>'(GenericRecord)data().newRecord(null, schema())'
> - add a constructor that accepts a GenericData instance, instead of
>calling GenericData.get().
>
>Then you could use new GenericRecordBuilder(SpecificData.get(),
>schema) to create specific records.
>
>Doug
+
Christophe Taton 2013-04-16, 04:39