MapReduce >> mail # user >> Spindle per Cores

+
Patai Sangbutsarakum 2012-10-12, 17:46
+
Hank Cohen 2012-10-12, 20:45
+
Jeffrey Buell 2012-10-12, 21:19
+
Michael Segel 2012-10-13, 02:35
+
ranjith raghunath 2012-10-13, 02:52
+
Michael Segel 2012-10-13, 02:58
+
ranjith raghunath 2012-10-13, 03:27
Re: Spindle per Cores
I think that this rule of thumb is to prevent people configuring 2 disk
clusters with 16 cores or 48 disk machines with 4 cores.  Both
configurations could make sense in narrow applications, but both would most
probably be sub-optimal.

Within narrow bands, I doubt you will see huge changes.  I like to be able

a) be able to saturate disk I/O which requires some CPU and a good control.
 Different distros vary a lot here

b) have enough memory per slot.  Lots of people go cheap on this and they
wind up hamstringing performance

c) make sure there is enough CPU left over for the application.  This is
hugely app dependent, obviously.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Hank Cohen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What empirical evidence is there for this rule of thumb?
> In other words, what tests or metrics would indicate an optimal
> spindle/core ratio and how dependent is this on the nature of the data and
> of the map/reduce computation?
>
> My understanding is that there are lots of clusters with more spindles
> than cores.  Specifically, typical 2U servers can hold 12 3.5" disk drives.
>  So lots of Hadoop clusters have dual 4 core processors and 12 spindles.
>  Would it be better to have 6 core processors if you are loading up the
> boxes with 12 disks?  And most importantly, how would one know that the mix
> was optimal?
>
> Hank Cohen
> Altior Inc.

+