Sqoop, mail # user - Throttling inserts to avoid replication lags

+
Zoltán Tóth-Czifra 2012-09-12, 14:48
+
Connell, Chuck 2012-09-12, 15:08
+
Kathleen Ting 2012-09-12, 23:27
+
Zoltán Tóth-Czifra 2012-09-13, 08:41
+
Jarek Jarcec Cecho 2012-09-13, 10:19
+
Zoltán Tóth-Czifra 2012-09-14, 10:35
RE: Throttling inserts to avoid replication lags
Zoltán Tóth-Czifra 2012-09-16, 16:19
FYI, I found a simple way to implement this and created an issue to Sqoop with a patch.

Let's see if it gets accepted.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SQOOP-604
From: Zoltán Tóth-Czifra [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 12:35 PM
To: Jarek Jarcec Cecho; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Throttling inserts to avoid replication lags

Hi Jarcec,

Thank you very much for your answer! I really appreciate that you are thinking with me.
Regarding trhe number of mappers to export, yes, we can keep it low, but as you said, Sqoop will try its best for the highest throughput so even one mapper can cause replication lag.

Your idea of the non-replicated tables could work, but I'm almost sure we'll need to discard it, because it's impossible to maintain with a few hundred machines, all constantly changing, adding new servers, creating new exports, etc...

The solutions we had in mind so far:

MySQL Proxy
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-proxy/
It is an unofficial project for MySQL, and it seems to be sopped somehow. It doesn't seem to support throttling our of the box, but in theory with using Lua scripts one can write a system to limit the number of queries. This, however, is not a guarantee to limit data throughput (imagine one huge insert with thousands of lines...) and doesn't seem to be ready for production

Message Queues
We had in mind a solution where we completely discard Sqoop and write our own solution which somehow puts exported lines from Hive to a message queue and there we can already process it the way we want. I see this very complex and costly solution.

Contributing to Sqoop
This is what I see now as the best option - creating our own branch of Sqoop and adding the throttling feature.

If anyone has something else in mind, it's really appreciated.

Thanks!