MapReduce >> mail # user >> Data locality of map-side join

Re: Data locality of map-side join
One underlying issue is that you would like your tool to be able to detect
which dataset is the largest and how large is it because with this
information different strategies can be chosen. This implies that somehow
your tool needs to create/keep/update statistics about your datasets. And
that's clearly something which is relevant for an external tool (like hive
or pig) but it might not make sense to build that into the core
mapred/mapreduce. That would increase coupling for something which is not
necessarily relevant for the core of the platform.

I know about about Hive. And you could be interested in reading more about
it.
https://cwiki.apache.org/Hive/statsdev.html

Statistics such as the number of rows of a table or partition and the
> histograms of a particular interesting column are important in many ways.
> One of the key use cases of statistics is query optimization. Statistics
> serve as the input to the cost functions of the optimizer so that it can
> compare different plans and choose among them. Statistics may sometimes
> meet the purpose of the users' queries. Users can quickly get the answers
> for some of their queries by only querying stored statistics rather than
> firing long-running execution plans. Some examples are getting the quantile
> of the users' age distribution, the top 10 apps that are used by people,
> and the number of distinct sessions.

I don't know if Pig has something similar.

Regards

Bertrand

Bertrand Dechoux