Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Re: Does the bloom filter pose risks to consumer-wide acceptance of BitCoin?

Re: Does the bloom filter pose risks to consumer-wide acceptance of BitCoin?
Jon-

I have no knowledge of BitCoin, but bloom filters are designed to
allow for false positives, but guarantee no false negatives. While
Apache Accumulo does not depend on bloom filters as a core underlying
technology, they are optionally used in per-file indexes to quickly
avoid searching data files that cannot possibly match a given query,
as a performance enhancement.

In the case of false positives for Accumulo, it simply means that more
data is searched through than necessary. But, since there can be no
false negatives, we can skip reading any files when examining the
bloom filter results in a negative... because the desired data cannot
possibly be found in that file.

I cannot speak for BitCoin, but any other correct reliance on bloom
filters likely operates quite similarly, quickly eliminating
non-matches, to limit the search within the potential matches of
positives and false positives.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii