Bigtop >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Using --signoff option with git am when committing patches

+
Mark Grover 2013-09-04, 21:58
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-09-04, 22:03
+
Mark Grover 2013-09-04, 22:05
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-09-08, 05:56
+
Mark Grover 2013-09-08, 22:00
+
Mark Grover 2013-09-09, 01:03
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-09-15, 20:28
Re: [DISCUSS] Using --signoff option with git am when committing patches
That wasn't my intent. When I commit my own changes, I simply push the
commit that I generated the patch from instead of git applying the patch
that I uploaded to JIRA.

I am personally in favor of keeping the (unwritten?) policy the way it is -
that is, it's ok to commit to your patches, once they have gotten a +1 from
another committer.
On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Would a consequence of this be no committing of your own changes? Signing
> off on your own commit wouldn't add any value.
>

> On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Mark Grover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > And, about your former point:
> >
> > Our git format-patch policy for patches ensures that the name of the
> actual
> > contributor who committed the code shows up on the commit message when
> > doing git log. However, I think it will be useful to see which committer
> > committed that patch on behalf of the contributor. That's exactly the
> > problem "--sign-off" solves.
> >
> > Linux kernel<
> >
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/SubmittingPatches?id=HEAD
> > >,
> > for example, has a policy to use --sign-off flag and the same applies to
> > contributing to the git
> > project<
> >
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/git/git.git/tree/Documentation/SubmittingPatches?id=HEAD
> > >
> > .
> > And, there are some other benefits too, listed here:
> >

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1962094/what-is-the-sign-off-feature-in-git-for
> >
> > Mark
> >

> --
> Best regards,