Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere

Re: [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere
Hi Nige,

Thanks. I think in fact it does directly relate -- to use your verbage below -- not ever svn remove <dir> requires a [DISCUSS] thread before svn removing it, right?

Hence, my knee-jerk reaction on reading this thread is that contrib modules are = contrib modules in other umbrella projects -- some are small, and likely yes should be part of the core of Hadoop; others are not, and are in fact, "mini projects" that have been baking up in Hadoop for a while. In the case of the former, I agree, +1, those should be moved as part of the Hadoop core "project". In the case of the latter, I do not agree that simply the Hadoop project should create a wiki page and declare by VOTE that there won't be anymore development on them. In fact, they are perfect candidates for moving to the Attic where someone besides the Hadoop PMC might want to pick up on them at a later point in time.

There is no hard and fast rule for the size of a TLP too btw: utilities that run on top of Hadoop could go through e.g., Incubation, and eventually graduate to TLPs.

Cheers,
Chris

On Feb 9, 2011, at 10:35 PM, Nigel Daley wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> You use the word 'project' over and over.  These contrib modules are not Apache projects.  They are source code directories within the various Hadoop subprojects. Reading thru attic.apache.org, I don't see how it directly relates.  Surely not every 'svn remove <dir>' should be replaced with a move to attic.apache.org.
>
> Cheers,
> Nige
>

> On Feb 9, 2011, at 7:37 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
>
>> Hi Nigel,
>>
>> My 2 cents -- why is Hadoop re-creating its own mini-Attic? The point of the umbrella project shakedown over the past year at Apache is to stop projects from recreating things like the Incubator (and the Attic) inside of the project.
>>
>> One suggestion: for your [VOTE] thread that you are calling -- if the result is to attic the project -- move it to the "real" Apache Attic, via a board resolution (you could do a single board resolution from the Hadoop PMC to the Apache Board containing the set of projects to Attic).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chris
>>
>> On Feb 9, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Nigel Daley wrote:
>>
>>> After considering the feedback, I will move forward with calling a separate vote for each contrib (or small groups of contribs). The vote will ask the PMC to abandon the given contrib or move it to core.  For those we agree to abandon, I will setup an Attic wiki that will point to the last SVN revision of the contrib.  I will also start a Related Projects wiki (if we don't already have one) with pointers to the contrib modules that folks have volunteered to keep developing elsewhere.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Nige

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist