Accumulo, mail # dev - [git] Documentation and Plan of Action

Re: [git] Documentation and Plan of Action
Josh Elser 2013-06-12, 00:46
On 06/11/2013 12:26 PM, Christopher wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Josh Elser<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
>> >The person who implements the workaround in Version1 should ensure that when
>> >Version1 is merged into Version2, the correct code is present in Version2.
> I'm not sure that's a sufficient solution, because this means that the
> branch for Version2 may stick around with effectively no change from
> its last tag other than history, and you can't simply update the tag
> to update the history, can you? Either it sticks around for a very
> long time, or it goes away and eventually somebody else is going to
> have to resolve that potential merge conflict when fixing the next bug
> that comes around (which maybe applies to both).

I think I already addressed this concern with Mike later in this thread,
but I'll restate for completeness:

Even if a merge from v1 to v2 is a no-op in terms of changes, the fact
that a non-no-op change in v1 merits a no-op change in v2 is important,
and thus this is important for the developer to record with a merge.

The lifetime of the v2 branch is then subject to the same circumstance
we've talked about previously.