Avro, mail # user - SocketServer performance

Re: SocketServer performance
Todd Lipcon 2010-01-05, 02:02
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Eric Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 12:01 -0800, Todd Lipcon wrote:
> > 80ms sounds like two round trips without SO_NODELAY. Does the socket
> > server set this socket option?
>
> Actually, this is exactly what it is. I had used setTcpNoDelay(true) on
> client and server sockets, but apparently I fat fingered something
> between making the change and getting it built and in-place.
>
> I'll submit a bug report and patch later today.
>
> Thanks for your help Todd.

Sure thing. With NODELAY we should make sure that appropriate buffering
happens to avoid having tons of itty-bitty packets, which can also kill
performance.

C has access to the lovely TCP_CORK option, sadly not available to Java :(

-Todd