Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Hadoop 2.0 Support for Accumulo 1.4 Branch

Re: Hadoop 2.0 Support for Accumulo 1.4 Branch
On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Sean Busbey <busbey+[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM, William Slacum <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> The language of ACCUMULO-1795 indicated that an acceptable state was
>> something that wasn't binary compatible. That's my #1 thing to avoid.
>>

> Ah. So I see, not sure why I phrased that that way. Since the default build
> should still be 0.20.203.0, I'm not sure how it'd end up not being binary
> compatible. I can update the ticket to clarify the language. Any need to
> compile should be limited to running Hadoop 2.2.0.
>
> Sound good?

+1
(The confusing wording was the basis for my concerns also.)

>> > Maybe expressly only doing a binary convenience package for
>> > 0.20.203.0?
>>
>> If we need an extra package, doesn't that mean a user can't just upgrade
>> Accumulo?
>>

> By "binary convenience package" I mean the binary distribution tarball (or
> rpms, or whatevs) that we make as a part of the release process. For users
> of Hadoop 0.20.203.0, upgrading should be unchanged from how they would
> normally get their Accumulo 1.4.x distribution.
>
> ACCUMULO-1796 has some leeway about the convenience packages for people who
> want Hadoop 2 support. On the extreme end, they'd have to build from source
> and then run a normal upgrade process.

I'd prefer binary compatibility with a single build, but if that's too
hard to achieve, I have no objection to providing a mechanism to
perform an alternate build against 2.x (whether or not we provide a
pre-built binary package for it), so long as the default build is
0.20.x

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii