HBase >> mail # user >> Does a major compact flush memstore?

RE: Does a major compact flush memstore?
I tried both hbase shell's major_compact cmd and java api HBaseAdmin.majorCompact() on table name.
They don't flush the memstore on to disk, compact cmd seems not doing that too.

I hadn't read enough related code, While I am wondering, is that because there are size threshold before a memstore is flushed? Then a user invoked compact don't force to flush it?

Best Regards,
Raymond Liu