Flume >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Annotating interface scope/stability in Flume

Re: [DISCUSS] Annotating interface scope/stability in Flume

On Aug 14, 2012, at 9:47 AM, Will McQueen wrote:

>>> if you want to create a configuration using XML, JSON
> Flume is currently hardcoded to read from a Java Properties file. Please
> see Application.run():
>         AbstractFileConfigurationProvider configurationProvider = new
> PropertiesFileConfigurationProvider();

Yes, I know.  That is only part of it. FlumeConfiguration also expects properties.  PropertiesFileConfigurationProvider cannot be extended, even though it sort of looks like it can. All the useful methods are private.

It turns out I can't really leverage the way Flume startup works anyway. When the configuration changes it basically does a restart. That works fine in a standalone case since clients will fail over to another agent until reconfiguration is complete. But an embedded agent can't shutdown like that so I'm pretty much having to roll my own.

Ralph