Hive >> mail # user >> HiveServer2

Yikes: I personally found that the most problematic thing was hiveserver +
zk locking, if you do not need that turn it off. Other then that we just
wrote a good nagios check..it runs a query (one that does not invoke a map
reduce job). That seems to spot the problems quickly and allow our ops to
restart the bad instance.