HBase, mail # dev - 0.94 tests back in shape and some guidelines

+
lars hofhansl 2012-12-25, 19:57
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2012-12-25, 20:11
+
yuzhihong@... 2012-12-25, 21:17
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-12-26, 01:29
+
Ted Yu 2012-12-26, 07:38
+
ramkrishna vasudevan 2012-12-26, 03:49
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-12-27, 06:02
+
Andrew Purtell 2012-12-28, 05:02
+
lars hofhansl 2012-12-27, 06:29
Re: 0.94 tests back in shape and some guidelines
Stack 2012-12-26, 16:53
Thanks for doing the fixup "Iron Hand".  +1 on these rules for a branch or
for any branch (We'll have to do the same for for trunk when it becomes
0.96 branch).  Should we add something here:
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hbase.tests  Or to the community section:
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#community ?  Or to the developer section?

St.Ack
On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM, lars hofhansl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> During the past few days I spend some time to bring the 0.94 test back
> into shape.
>
> GC issues, bad backports, hanging tests, memory issues, you name it.
> I do not want to ever have to do that again.
>
> The good news is: The 0.94 tests are back in shape now. Yeah!
>
> If you commit a patch it is your responsibility to make sure it passes the
> test suite.
> Either the tests should be fixed in a reasonable amount of time or the
> commit should be reverted.
> This is mainly for committers, contributors should also watch the test
> runs for their patches.
> No excuses. The tests are passing now.
> I do not care whether a test passes locally, or whether it fails rarely,
> or whether some tests failed previously, or whatever.
>
> Please, consider this a condition for me to continue as release manager
> for 0.94.
> (This is only for the 0.94 tests. I cannot speak for HadoopQA, or the
> regular trunk test suite, although eventually I assume we want similar
> guidelines there)
>
> I increased the retention time for past builds. I will find you :)
> I will publicly shame you. I will retroactively -1 the change and revert
> it, and then shame you again. :)
>
> Lastly, this is a function of the large amount of contributed patches. So
> it is a good problem to have.
> HBase it an actively maintained project and we certainly want to keep it
> this way, just with an acknoledgement that keeping the test suite passing
> is important.
>
> Thanks and Merry Christmas (to whoever celebrates that).
>
> -- Lars
+
Stack 2012-12-26, 17:08
+