MapReduce >> mail # dev >> Automatically Documenting Apache Hadoop Configuration

Re: Automatically Documenting Apache Hadoop Configuration
Hi,

> From my work on yarn trying to document the configs there and to
standardize them, writing anything that is going to automatically detect
config values through static analysis is going to be very difficult. This
is because most of the configs in yarn are now built up using static string
concatenation.

All the references to Configuration.get* methods will give the list of
parameters from which the unique ones have to be picked and the literal
string mapped (like dfs.namenode.safemode.threshold-pct for
DFS_NAMENODE_SAFEMODE_THRESHOLD_PCT_KEY). We could also add some
annotations to the configuraion parameters, which would be included in the
documentation.

We can take a crack at it. If the parameters come out accurately then html
can be generated automatically similar to javadocs or else all the newly
added parameters will be written to a file which will be an input to the RM
(or someone else) to open JIRAs and fix them.

> I do not know if we recommend using config strings directly when there's
an API in Job/JobConf supporting setting the same thing.

Changing the parameter through API will lead to building and packaging
multiple times. Also, setting the parameters from the command prompt will
make testing easier.

Ari from Cloudera and the author of the article mentioned in a separate
mail that he would release the code, once it's done I will look into it.

Regards,
Praveen