Hive >> mail # user >> Interesting claims that seem untrue

Interesting claims that seem untrue
I was reading the horton-works blog and found an interesting article.
http://hortonworks.com/blog/stinger-phase-2-the-journey-to-100x-faster-hive/#comment-160753

There is a very interesting graphic which attempts to demonstrate lines of
code in the 12 release.
http://hortonworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/hive4.png

Although I do not know how they are calculated, they are probably counting
code generated by tests output, but besides that they are wrong.

One claim is that Cloudera contributed 4,244 lines of code.

So to debunk that claim:

In https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-4675 Brock Noland from
cloudera, created the ptest2 testing framework. He did all the work for
ptest2 in hive 12, and it is clearly more then 4,244

This consists of 84 java files
[edward@desksandra ptest2]$ find . -name "*.java" | wc -l
84
and by itself is 8001 lines of code.
[edward@desksandra ptest2]$ find . -name "*.java" | xargs cat | wc -l
8001

[edward@desksandra hive-trunk]$ wc -l HIVE-4675.patch
7902 HIVE-4675.patch

This is not the only feature from cloudera in hive 12.

There is also a section of the article that talks of a "ROAD MAP" for hive
features. I did not know we (hive) had a road map. I have advocated
switching to feature based release and having a road map before, but it was
suggested that might limit people from itch-scratching.