From: Slater, David M. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Straggler problem in Accumulo BatchScans

Hey, I have a 7 node network running accumulo 1.4.1 and hadoop 1.0.4.

When I run large BatchScanner operations, the number of tablets scanned per
node is not uniform, leading to the overloaded nodes taking much longer to
finish than the others. For queries that require all of the scans to finish
before returning, this is a major latency issue. What are some practical
means of load-balancing this to reduce delay?

Is it possible for tablets to be hosted on multiple tablet servers, up to
the replication factor of the underlying hdfs? Are there reasons this might
be an undesirable design?

Thanks in advance,
David