Hive >> mail # user >> Hive bug in Partition

+
Chalcy Raja 2012-10-12, 20:33
Re: Hive bug in Partition
Not sure about this bug and don't have a test table right now on which I
can try this or rather don't want to try this on a table :-)

Did you lose the entire table ? If your HDFS trash policy is the default 24
hours, you should be able to recover and run a quick load command to
restore the metadata in hive metastore.

FWIW, we run drop commands using an abstract syntax and not directly from
the command-line and so we avoid these typo issues by doing that.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Chalcy Raja
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

>  ** **
>
> We are using Hive 8 as part of CDH4.0.1.  We noticed a bug in Partition.
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Say if my hive table is partitioned by *mydate* and to drop a partition I
> mistype the name of the partition, like,****
>
> Alter table mytable drop partition (*yourdate*=’2012-09-10’) , this will
> drop all the mytable paritions (*mydate*).  The whole table is empty.
> This is scary.****
>
> ** **
>
> I could not find any Jira for that. Have anybody experienced this bug?  I
> can create a Jira for this bug if nobody has heard of this bug.****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks,****
>
> Chalcy ****