Pig >> mail # dev >> Custom Scripting Engine

+
Connor Woodson 2013-01-19, 02:42
+
Daniel Dai 2013-01-21, 21:59
+
Connor Woodson 2013-01-22, 00:47
+
Jonathan Coveney 2013-01-22, 01:04
Re: Custom Scripting Engine
I want to write a custom scripting engine and I would like to not have to
modify the enum in ScriptingEngine.java to get it to work both in the
'register' command for UDFs, but also for embedded scripts. From what I can
tell, the former is possible by passing in a FQCN to the register command
instead of one of the keywords; however, I can't tell if it is possible to
get Pig to run my scripting engine when I pass it a non-pig file (e.g. you
pass it a .py file and it runs the jython scripting engine). So is this
second use possible, or (for now) can custom SE's only be used for UDFs?

(I'll admit here that I don't understand what I meant in the end of my
previous email; feel free to ignore it).

Thanks,

- Connor
On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Jonathan Coveney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Can you describe at a higher level what you have in mind?
>

> 2013/1/21 Connor Woodson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > Is there a way to get Pig to use your custom scripting engine without
> > having to modify ScriptingEngine.java and placing it in the enum? It
> looks
> > like it's possible with enums, but what about for embedding pig? (as in
> how
> > Pig can run python scripts).
> >
> > - Connor
> >

> > On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Daniel Dai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Pig currently support jython, jruby, javascript and groovy. If you
> > > need to write other scripting engine, extend ScriptEngine.
> > >
> > > Here are some references:
> > > 1.
> > >

> http://www.slideshare.net/daijy/pig-programming-is-more-fun-new-features-in-pig
> > > (pp 24, 25)
> > > 2. Groovy UDF: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-2763
> > > 3. JRuby UDF: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-2317
> > > 4. Javascript UDF: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-1794
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Daniel
> > >
> > > On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Connor Woodson <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> be

+
Jonathan Coveney 2013-01-22, 23:56