Pig, mail # dev - Custom Scripting Engine

Re: Custom Scripting Engine
Connor Woodson 2013-01-22, 02:22
I want to write a custom scripting engine and I would like to not have to
modify the enum in ScriptingEngine.java to get it to work both in the
'register' command for UDFs, but also for embedded scripts. From what I can
tell, the former is possible by passing in a FQCN to the register command
instead of one of the keywords; however, I can't tell if it is possible to
get Pig to run my scripting engine when I pass it a non-pig file (e.g. you
pass it a .py file and it runs the jython scripting engine). So is this
second use possible, or (for now) can custom SE's only be used for UDFs?

(I'll admit here that I don't understand what I meant in the end of my
previous email; feel free to ignore it).

Thanks,

- Connor