Accumulo >> mail # user >> Getting the IP Address

+
Ravi Mutyala 2013-08-28, 15:38
+
Eric Newton 2013-08-28, 16:53
+
Marc Reichman 2013-08-28, 16:57
+
Sean Busbey 2013-08-28, 16:59
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-08-28, 17:03
+
Christopher 2013-08-28, 17:32
+
Billie Rinaldi 2013-08-28, 17:44
+
John Vines 2013-08-28, 17:54
+
Christopher 2013-08-28, 19:00
+
John Vines 2013-08-28, 19:03
+
Christopher 2013-08-28, 20:26
Re: Getting the IP Address
On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ah, you're right, of course.
>
> In that case, I'm also wondering about NAT situations and other
> strange networking situations. For those especially, it seems what we
> need to do is treat the bind address differently from the advertised
> address.
>
> Perhaps attempting to use $(hostname -i) and falling back to
> $(hostname -I | head -1) would be best?

I just noticed one wrinkle with "hostname -I",  it may return IPV6
addresses.   When I first looked at the man page, I thought it would
exclude IPV6.  But on closes inspection I noticed it excludes "IPv6
link-local addresses".  So hostname -I will probably cause problems if the
first thing it returns is a IPV6 addr.

> --
> Christopher L Tubbs II
> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
>

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM, John Vines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Christopher,
> >
> > It's not a matter of determining which port to bind to. It's for
> recording
> > it's location in zookeeper so other nodes can find it.
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm not sure this is even very portable. It relies on a specific
> >> ifconfig display format intended for human-readability, and I'm not
> >> sure that's entirely guaranteed to be static over time. It also won't
> >> work if there are multiple public interfaces. It also don't think it
> >> works for infiniband or other interface types that have issues in
> >> ifconfig.
> >>
> >> I think we have to make *some* assumptions that things like
> >> "networking" is properly configured using standard utilities for
> >> name-mapping (like DNS or /etc/hosts). I think it's more confusing for
> >> sysadmins if we have these sorts of automatic behaviors that are
> >> non-standard and unexpected (like automatically binding to a single,
> >> arbitrarily chosen, public IP out of the box).
> >>
> >> Honestly, though, I'm not sure why we need to be resolving public IP
> >> addresses *at all*. It should be configured explicitly, and bind to
> >> either 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 by default (to satisfy the ease for
> >> first-time users).
> >>

> >> --
> >> Christopher L Tubbs II
> >> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii