From: Ariel Marcus [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 18 January 2013 16:16
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HWI use on AWS/EMR

Hey Tony,

I would recommend using ssh port forwarding instead of making your hwi publicly available on the internet. When you connect to the master node using ssh you should use a command like the following:

ssh -i /path/to/keyfile.pem -L 9999:localhost:9999 -l hadoop MASTER_HOSTNAME

After you have connected, add the following to your hive/conf/hive-site.xml file:

<property>
  <name>hive.hwi.war.file</name>
  <value>lib/hive-hwi-0.8.1.war</value>
  <description>This is the WAR file with the jsp content for Hive Web Interface</description>
</property>

Run this command to start up hwi:

hive --service hwi

And finally point your browser to:

localhost:9999

That worked for me.

Best,
Ariel
Ariel Marcus, Consultant
www.openbi.com<http://www.openbi.com/> | [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
150 N Michigan Avenue, Suite 2800, Chicago, IL 60601
Cell: 314-827-4356