Zookeeper >> mail # dev >> Impacts of increasing ZooKeeper ticktime

Impacts of increasing ZooKeeper ticktime
Hi Everyone,

Our customers are recently complaining about zookeeper client session
timeouts.

When analyzed its found that timeouts are due to heavy GC activity on
Clients.

So, they wanted to increase the session timeouts to 3 minutes which requires
the ticktime to be increased to atleast 9 seconds.

I wanted to know the impacts of increasing the ticktime to 10 seconds.

Following is my understanding of impacts. Correct me if my understanding is
wrong.

1) Leader election and syncing on startup may be delayed.

2) Watches on ephemeral nodes will get notifications only after session
timeout period.

Still I have some open questions w.r.to increasing ticktime.

1) Does this impact any performance?

2) Any other impacts?

3) Any other configurations to be tuned along with this?

Laxman