MapReduce >> mail # dev >> Re: Moving to JDK7, JDK8 and new major releases

Re: Moving to JDK7, JDK8 and new major releases
Tx for the new thread Andrew, hopefully it can attract more eyes.

Here's what I am behind - a modified proposal C.
 - Overall I wouldn't think about EOL of JDK7 and/or JDK8 specifically given how long it has taken for JDK6 life-cycle to end. We should try to focus on JDK7 only for now.
 - As we have seen, a lot (majority?) of orgs on Hadoop have moved beyond JDK6 and are already running on JDK7. So upgrading to JDK7 is more of a reflection of reality (to quote Steve) than it in itself being a disruptive change.
 - We should try decoupling the discussion of major releases from JDK upgrades. We have seen individual libraries getting updated right in the 2.x lines as and when necessary. Given the new reality of JDK7, I don't see the 'JDK change' as much different from the library upgrades.

We have seen how long it has taken (and still taking) users and organization to move from Hadoop 1 to Hadoop 2. A Hadoop 3/4 that adds nothing else other than JDK upgrades will be a big source of confusion for users. A major version update is also seen an opportunity for devs to break APIs. Unless we have groundbreaking 'features' (like YARN or wire-compatibility in Hadoop-2) that a majority of users want and that specifically warrant incompatible changes in our APIs or wire protocols, we are better off separating the major-version update discussion into ints own.

Irrespective of all this, we should actively get behind better isolation of user classes/jars from MapReduce classpath. This one's been such a long running concern, it's not funny anymore.

Thanks,
+Vinod