MapReduce, mail # dev - Policy on adding timeouts to tests

Re: Policy on adding timeouts to tests
Chris Nauroth 2014-04-15, 18:38
+common-dev, hdfs-dev

My understanding of the current situation is that we had a period where we
tried to enforce adding timeouts on all new tests in patches, but it caused
trouble, and now we're back to not requiring it.  Jenkins test-patch isn't
checking for it anymore.

I don't think patches are getting rejected for using timeouts though.

The difficulty is that execution time is quite sensitive to the build
environment.  (Consider top-of-the-line server hardware used in build
infrastructure vs. a dev running a VirtualBox VM with 1 dedicated CPU, 2 GB
RAM and slow virtualized disk.)  When we were enforcing timeouts, it was
quite common to see follow-up patches tuning up the timeout settings to
make tests work reliably in a greater variety of environments.  At that
point, the benefit of using the timeout becomes questionable, because now
the fast machine is running with the longer timeout too.

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/