MapReduce, mail # dev - Apache jenkins job to build release artifacts (WAS: Issue with my username on my company provided dev box?)

Re: Apache jenkins job to build release artifacts (WAS: Issue with my username on my company provided dev box?)
Steve Loughran 2014-01-31, 11:10
FWIW I've used a (local) VM for releases in the past, a VM with read-only
access to the repository, that was never used for development

-lets you lock down the box more
-guarantees src is untainted by edits
-lets you run a release build/test run within the VM while you are still
coding, without any interference
-lets you do an rm -rf ~/.m2 ~/.ivy before the build
-lets people with windows desktops cut a release

weaknesses?
-Slower IO
-All changes to things like release notes need to be done local &
propagated via SVN
-if you do want auto-publish via scp, VM needs your private key without a
password. We created a special user @sourceforge for this
-usual brittleness of a VM that is only used once every month to changes
-after the yum update things may break, the wrong version of java creep in,
etc. That has to be included in the schedule.
-once you share the VMs by copying disk images the maintenance cost is
O(VM-instances)
-automated releases can get you complacent about shipping things without
doing the full install tests (on other (clean) VMs)
-when you did run the fully distributed test harness, it would certainly
pick up on things like concurrency and network problems, but it did nothing
to help you actually track down the issue (
http://sourceforge.net/p/smartfrog/svn/HEAD/tree/trunk/core/components/arithmetic-testharness/src/org/smartfrog/services/slp/
)

that release process in full:
http://sourceforge.net/p/smartfrog/svn/HEAD/tree/trunk/core/release/doc/creating_release_artifacts.pdf?format=raw