Hadoop, mail # general - [Incubator Wiki] Update of "March2012" by RomanShaposhnik

[Incubator Wiki] Update of "March2012" by RomanShaposhnik
Roman Shaposhnik 2012-03-13, 01:25
Hi Jukka!

Indeed. That's the #1 thing that we need as a project.

> Have you seen progress on this front since the last report? If not, do
> you have ideas on how to grow and diversify the community going
> forward? Would help from ComDev or the rest of the Incubator be
> useful?

We have some modest progress since the last report and I've included
things that we've done to grow our community and diversify it in the
March report. My personal biggest bet is on the classes that I'm running
in my spare time (together with Doug Chang) on Saturdays for those
who are interested in Hadoop, Bigdata, etc.  We have a pretty good turnout
and we shall see whether that will generate new contributors. So far, all the
folks are doing great with their projects (and I'm trying the best I
can to teach
them The Apache Way):
    http://www.meetup.com/HandsOnProgrammingEvents/

On top of that we are trying to engage some of the Bigdata commercial
vendors and see whether they can have enough  interest in having
a common platform for building robust Bigdata distributions.

If you have any other suggestions -- I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Roman.